i’m all biscuit-ed out. someone give me some cake!!!! anyway, here are the recipes for chräbeli (aniseed biscuits) and basler brunsli (chocolate almond biscuits). enjoy, escpecially you, ines!!!
4 – 5 eggs
500g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
pinch of salt
1 Tbl kirsch (we used much more- about 4 tablespoons- but that’s to taste!)
1 1/2 Tbl aniseed (whole seeds) (again, we used much more, about 4-5 tablespoons)
– mix eggs and sifted sugar together until light and fluffy
– add salt, kirsch and aniseeds. note: we used much more than this recipe states, cos we like aniseed and kirsch. it’s up to you how much.
– add flour and mix to a stiff dough. knead lightly. if you have added more kirsch you may knead to add some more icing sugar or flour to ensure the dough is not too sticky.
– for chräbeli: roll out dough to a long sausgage about 1.5 cm thick and cut into sections about 5cm. for each section, make 2 or 3 small incisions along the length (don’t cut all the way through, only about 1/3 of the way) and form into a kind of semi-circle.
– for brötli: roll out dough to 1cm thick and cut into required shapes.
– after shaping dough (chräbeli or brötli), leave the shapes on baking paper on a baking tray overnight to dry out.
– the next day, bake for 25-30 mins at the bottom of a cool oven (140°c) with the door open (theobject being to dry them out, rather than bake them fully). the underside should be a slight brown and the top slightly raised when finished.
– store in an air-tight container. these biscuits will be very hard to bite into!!!
250g almond meal
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbl flour
2 eggs whites, whipped until peaky
100g dark bitter chocolate, melted
– mix sugar, almonds, cinnamon and flour together in a bowl.
– fold in the egg whites, and then the melted chocolate. bring together to form a ball.
– roll out dough to 5mm thick and cut into shapes. leave the shapes on a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray ot dry for an hour or so.
– heat oven to 250°c, then bake for 5 minutes (careful or they will burn!!)
– store in an air-tight container.